photo by York Wilson Photography

Saturday, February 11, 2006

 

About Me & FAQ

I have been bellydancing professionally for five years in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) area of North Carolina. I have been a member of Blue Moon Dance Company since 2002. Currently I perform tribal style bellydance both as a member of Blue Moon and as a soloist.
My influences as a dancer include Zafira Dance Company (who my primary teacher, Nandana, studied with for several years), FatChanceBellyDance, Ultra Gypsy, and Rachel Brice.
When not performing bellydance, in my everyday existence, I am a full time student at UNC Chapel Hill. When I'm not in class, I work as an ESL tutor for Japanese speakers. When I'm not busy with that stuff, I knit, draw, drink too much coffee, and play tabletop roleplaying games.

Do you teach lessons?
I teach at the Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA on Tuesday nights at 5:50 PM. My classes are an all-levels introduction to the foundation moves of American Tribal Style and Tribal Fusion. More information is available here.

Do you teach private lessons?
Yes, I am available on a limited schedule to teach private, semi-private or troupe lessons in Chapel Hill or Carrboro during the week or anywhere in the greater Raleigh area on weekends. Please email me if you are interested for hourly rates. (skbeaman@yahoo.com)

Will you perform at my private party or public event?
I am currently available to perform at mixed-audience and all-female private parties/restaurant sets only. Party sets can be all-performance or include instruction time for guests, whichever you prefer. Please contact me for pricing information. (skbeaman@yahoo.com) For public events I recommend inquiring with my troupe, Blue Moon Dance Company-- we provide some of the best stage performances available in the area, complete with live musicians!
Please note that I will NOT perform at bachelor parties or any similar events, so don't bother asking!

Will you perform at my hafla (dance party)?
If it's convenient to my schedule and not several hours away, most likely, yes.

Do you teach workshops?
Yes! I regularly assist in teaching Blue Moon workshops and I have taught two solo workshops in the past. Check here for information about future workshops in the Triangle area. If you are interested in booking a tribal style workshop outside the Triangle area, please contact Blue Moon Dance Company at mail@bluemoonbellydance.com.

Do you perform American Tribal Style, Tribal Fusion, World Fusion Bellydance, or what?
While I am familiar with the ATS (American Tribal Style) format, I do not rigidly adhere to it and neither does Blue Moon. I would consider our performance style "Tribal Fusion", although this brings up the question-- what is it "fusioned" with? We incorporate other dance elements (mostly Indian) in our performances from time to time, as well as some more modern elements, but the basis of our style and the majority of our moves are ATS. Blue Moon regularly does both improv and choreographed performances. When dancing solo, I do improv almost exclusively.

What props do you use?
I am proficient with zils, sword, other balanced objects (ie: pot or basket), Balinese fingernails, and skirt.

SaraBeaman.com

skbeaman@gmail.com

Archives

October 2005  
November 2005  
February 2006  
March 2006  
April 2006  
May 2006  
June 2006  
July 2006  
August 2006  
September 2006  
October 2006  
November 2006  
January 2007  
March 2007  
May 2007  
August 2007  
September 2007  
October 2007  
November 2007  
March 2008  
April 2008  
May 2008  
January 2009  
April 2009  
May 2009  
June 2009  

This page is powered by 

Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]